Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas

Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas
Published by Simon Pulse; July 16, 2013
Hardcover, 388 pages
Borrowed from library

Paradise quickly gets gruesome in this thrilling page-turner with a plot that’s ripped from the headlines and a twist that defies the imagination.

It’s Spring Break of senior year. Anna, her boyfriend Tate, her best friend Elise, and a few other close friends are off to a debaucherous trip to Aruba that promises to be the time of their lives.

But when Elise is found brutally murdered, Anna finds herself trapped in a country not her own, fighting against vile and contemptuous accusations. As Anna sets out to find her friend’s killer, she discovers harsh revelations about her friendships, the slippery nature of truth, and the ache of young love.

Awaiting the judge’s decree, it becomes clear to Anna that everyone around her thinks she is not only guilty, but also dangerous. And when the whole story comes out, reality is more shocking than anyone ever imagined...


- Description from Goodreads.com



A week has passed since I finished Dangerous Girls and I still can't wrap my head around it. It's too amazing and here's why:

Ms. Haas is an incredibly strong storyteller. She skillfully weaves stories from the past and the present in a way that doesn't feel...blocky. Everything flows smoothly together and everything serves a purpose. 

The more you read, the more jumbled the case is. With each new tale, you learn more about the crime which somehow, makes you even more confused. I wasn't sure whether the information I was presented with was meant as a clue to who the killer was or a distraction. 

And that bugged me a lot because I hate not being in the know with books. I don't want to be surprised, I want to anticipate and especially with the intensity of this book, NOT peeking at the end was extremely hard. But I promise you, it's worth it. Because there's this HUGE twist at the end that totally knocked all sense out of me. I was speechless for a good fifteen minutes. And if you knew me outside the computer, you'll know how hard it is to get me to shut up for a second, let alone fifteen minutes. 

This book is FRUSTRATING because it's so grounded in reality. Court trials are really that intense. Through the ups and downs of the case, you really hurt for Anna because you want her to win! And her narration makes it clear that not everything is fair and sometimes, you can't do anything about it. 

But now, I also have to say Abigail Haas is evil. You put me through all that and dare to throw my feelings back at my face at the end? I felt stupid for being so invested into the story when the answer was RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. 

To sum everything up, you have to pick up this book. It's intense, confusing, passionate, twisty but all over brilliant. And I'll leave you with that. I'm kind of running out of words to describe this book anyway.


4 comments :

  1. I know right! The entire time it was actually really really obvious who the culprit was. Well...it's obvious in retrospect. There are actually quite a few hints that point towards who the villain is! Haas is definitely an evil genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how she does it! Because the story was super complicated and imagine coming up with that! It would take some serious skill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds really good and fun! I might have to pick this one up!

    Lisa

    Become Blogger of the Week:

    http://turningpages94.blogspot.com/p/blogger-of-week.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please do so! It's really good.

    ReplyDelete