Friday, July 26, 2013

I'm a Shopaholic | Day 6


Day 6 of the Book Blogger Challenge and now, we're on the same page. SHOPPING.


My parents should have known living near a mall would not have been good for their daughter. Because I go absolutely NUTS in malls. I'm a shopper okay? And I can't help it. I just want to buy everything: socks, shoes, candle holders and ESPECIALLY books. I hate to admit it but I'm a shopaholic. Thank goodness I'm not living on my own yet - imagine how absolutely wrecked I'd be.

I first realized this when I was ten and at that time, I wasn't really interested in shopping for candle holders - not my style - I was more interested in book shopping. I would pull my parents to the bookstore every time we passed by and it was honestly magical. I would sit and read for the longest time until, of course I had found a book I wanted to buy. At first, it was the odd fairy book and my mum and dad happily obliged but after my birthday came and gift cards to stores rushed in, it was three books a day and often, at least one was a book I bought simply for the sake of buying. 

When I was twelve and I was cleaning out my bookshelf, I realized just how many books I hadn't finished yet. And I bought them like, two years ago. At that point, I just said to myself 'this has to stop'. Because that right there is an unhealthy addiction. I was wasting money on books I didn't even want to read! That's crazy! Ever since then, I've been much stricter on my book-buying habits and I get most of my books from the library, instead of buying them. Occasionally, a book will catch my attention and I'll buy it but for the most part, libraries are my friend. 

But even though I don't buy books often, I still visit the bookstore tons! And I don't really have a system when I visit though I have to say, I make a beeline for the YA section as soon as I step into the store. Furthermore, when I do end up buying a book,  it's not because I had planned what books to buy when I go the bookstore (unless I have to get it for school). It's more like 'I have the money, there's a bookstore, let's go in and see'. I like being able to flip through books and finding new ones that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I like taking my time and stumbling upon a hidden gem - I roam the entire space. 

So there's my not-all-relevant-to-the-subject answer! Share your thoughts in the comments! xxx

2 comments :

  1. Kezia @ Pansycake ReaderSaturday, July 27, 2013

    I'm not a clothes-shopper but I'm definitely a book buyer! I mean, last year I could control myself but nowadays?? Nope nope nope. I just HAVE to buy one whenever I go to the bookstore. Or if I'm broke, I won't go to the bookstore at all cause I might end up asking for my parents' money to buy books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's the wrath of the book blogger! Even though I can control myself when it comes to buying, I can't control my squealing when I see a book I recognize from being a book blogger. It's so exciting for me because before I wasn't aware of any books at all and so going to the bookstore and picking a book was a loooong and arduous process. But now even though I don't plan my buying, I can still go in and know roughly what books are worthy of my money from all the reviews!

    ReplyDelete