Saturday, June 29, 2013

Reflect & Renew: June 2013

Hello readers! Say hi to Reflect and Renew which you will be seeing around here at the end of each month. Inspired by Monthly Rewind at the Perpetual Page Turner. Enjoy! :)


Well, with the turn of a new month, Google Reader and Google Friend Connect will now officially go the way of the dinosaurs. I've already shared the news with y'all back in March. I also included a link to an awesome post over at Radiant Shadows looking into some Google Reader substitutes. Honestly, from what I've seen, it's between Feedly and Bloglovin. My personal preference is Bloglovin (there's more information here) so if any of you have Bloglovin, you know you can find me there! Just click the first button on the right with the B and the heart and you'll be taken straight to my blog! There's also always the 'Follow by Email' option available. Just enter your email in the box and Feedburner will do the rest for you! :) Hope to keep in touch with y'all, and to my fellow Canadians, happy Canada Day!


REVIEWS:


BOOKS NEXT UP ON MY TBR LIST:
A Really Awesome Mess by Trish Cook and Brandon Halpin
The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence
Between Shades of Grey by Ruta Sepetys
Geektastic by Holly Black and Cecil Castellucci
Peregrine Harker and The Black Death by Luke Hollands
Stunning by Sara Shepard
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
The Curse of the Wendigo by Rick Yancey
Miss Peregrine's Home for the Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs


MOST MEMORABLE EVENTS:
Going to Montreal with my friends! 
Watching Now You See Me with my grandmother (Magic!)
Watching The Internship with my friends (I kind of want to work at Google now!)
Grad ceremony!
Discovering some awesome indie & used bookstores, cool cafes


MOST PLAYED SONG:

Demons - Imagine Dragons


THINGS I CAN'T WAIT FOR IN JULY:
Getting some down time
Possibly volunteering at my local library
Possibly volunteering at a daycare centre
Having lots and lots of fun before school starts again!
Canada Day!
Camp Nanowrimo!


AROUND THE BLOGOSPHERE:
Lit Up Review kicked off this month. It's written by four amazing girls, you'll definitely want to check it out!
Jamie shares her reading timeline. What a cool idea!
Epic Reads share some super cute cards. I'm already bookmarking some for upcoming birthdays!
I've heard about the evil sentence (I released a breath I didn't know I was holding and all its variations) but it took Kelley to mention the crooked smile until I realized just how common it is too!
I know a lot of us are prepping for Camp Nanowrimo, me included. This post by Ms. Nova Ren Suma on outlining really motivated me to outline - something I rarely do!


That's all, see you next month! :)

3 comments :

  1. I still don't agree with Google removing GFC and Google Reader! *sigh* But what can we do about it now? Anyway, I hope you enjoyed Miss Peregrine's. I haven't read it yet, but really want to because it has pictures. PICTURES. And it sounds so deliciously creepy.

    Eee - you got to watch Now You See Me! I want to watch that one really bad, because it looks like it has such a cool premise. Glad you liked it!

    Looks like you had an awesome month. :) Here's to July 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never really used Google Reader but I totally empathize! It doesn't seem to me they have a good reason for removing them! I haven't started on Miss Peregrine's yet because I have so many other books to get through but I am really excited. I think the concept of the book is so cool. I've read some mixed reviews though so I'm making sure my expectations aren't set too high.


    Now You See Me was super fascinating! I just remember thinking, how on earth did the writers come up with this because the movie and everything was so complex!


    Here's to July! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't used to use any type of reader to keep up with my blog feed (I used to have email subscriptions which, I realize now, were such a pain - especially for so many blogs!) but when Reader was shutting down, I realized that it might have been a good idea to choose something where I could view all my blogs. I've been hooked on Bloglovin ever since!


    I love Imagine Dragons! And I agree, their Night Visions album is really, really great.

    ReplyDelete