Friday, May 3, 2013

Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski


Ten Things We Did (And Probably Shouldn't Have) by Sarah Mlynowski
Published by HarperTeen; June 7, 2011
Hardcover, 368 pages
Borrowed from library 

2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house - parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.

In this hilarious and bittersweet tale, Sarah Mlynowski mines the heart and mind of a girl on her own for the first time. To get through the year, April will have to juggle a love triangle, learn to do her own laundry, and accept that her carefully constructed world just might be falling apart . . . one thing-she-shouldn't-have-done at a time.


- Description from Goodreads.com



If there's one series I wish I could own a boxed set of, it's the Magic In Manhattan series. It's wickedly funny and quite realistic once you push aside the magic. It was one of the first young adult books I've ever read and so of course, it holds a special place in my heart, along with its author Sarah Mlynowski. When I had heard that Sarah had another book, well, why wouldn't I be excited? The author of my childhood writing another awesome, fun sounding book? Yes yes yes. And let me tell you, this book did not disappoint.

I loved the cast of characters Ten Things featured. They were so different from each other in so many ways but came together as a whole and really made the book shine for me. I loved how I could totally see all the characters in a fun, teen targeted movie opening in the summer. Fun is what the book, and the characters are all about and I LOVE that. Sometimes, there just has to be some spice in your life you know? And April and Vi are the best spice-makers on earth. Yes, I think anyone living with their best friend alone will be able to "live it up" but I think they did a rather excellent job of not caring about the consequences. 

I agree, there were some UGH moments where I just wanted to slap some sense into EVERYONE but it was soon forgotten with the flow of the rest of the story. I loved the layout of the book and the transitions from past to present were very smooth which is good. The only thing that bugged me was Vi's signature catch phrase, Hells yeah. No, as a teenager I will tell you right now we don't say this. Honestly, I don't think I've ever heard this said ever ever. 

To sum things up, I think this is the perfect book to read if you're looking for something funny and light, a book that doesn't require too much brain power. It's not amazing, but it's not bad and if you overlook some of the aspects of the book, you might enjoy it. The book has a great cast of characters you'll want to party with, although April is really annoying at times. The issues the book addresses (ie. sex, a lot of sex) isn't dealt with very well - I found the sex thing to be treated very casually but hey, as long as you remember a condom, everything'll be all right, right? All in all, Ten Things was a mediocre, enjoyable read that you'll like if you can get over certain aspects of the book (ie. annoying April, unrealistic, and HELLS YEAH.)

No comments :

Post a Comment