Friday, April 12, 2013

3 Ways Blogging Can Benefit You

In the past few years, blogging has been on the rise. With millions of people being able to access the Internet in just a click, sharing your thoughts and your life through social media sites has been very popular. Sites like Twitter and Tumblr allow you to express yourself – something some people may not be able to do in their day to day life. This has become so big that nearly everyone that has Internet access is a participant in at least one social media site – be it Facebook or Pinterest or Twitter. A 2011-2012 report released by the World Economic Forum states that 82% of the world population that has Internet access is a participant in at least one social media or social network site. A large percentage of that are people who have either a blog or a microblog such as a Blogger-hosted website, or Twitter, and even more people read blogs.


One major reason why people drift towards blogging is that they have no limits as to what they can talk about. They can talk about books, or food, or even movies. Along with the freedom to blog about absolutely everything they want, there are also many benefits to blogging. Firstly, you can improve your writing skills. By constantly updating your blog, you can hone your skills which will benefit you when writing reports or essays. Secondly, your creativity will increase. When blogging, you want to make sure your material is fresh to gain readers. Having to come up with new ideas all the time that will set you apart from everyone else, your creativity will increase. Finally, you will get to meet new people. Through comments, or new readers, it’s almost guaranteed you’ll find new people to chat with about your passions.


One of the major benefits of blogging is that it can help with your writing. Even though blogging is a very casual form of writing, you still need to be in possession of basic writing skills to get your point across. You need to learn how to write with proper sentence structure, proper grammar, and sentences that get straight to the point. Learning this and putting it into effect can help you when making presentations or writing reports. If you’re an aspiring author, then blogging will help you get into the practice of writing on a regular schedule. Most bloggers schedule their posts in the same way an author might schedule how many words they write each day. Getting into the habit of writing regularly is a good way to make sure you get your word count for each day. As you write more and more, you’re getting more practice. Just like with everything else you do, the more practice you get, the better you become.


Blogging also helps to increase your creativity. When you are a blogger, you constantly have to think of new material to feed your readers. The more you practice thinking outside of the box and thinking outside of what you have done already, the more creative you will become. In the blogging community, it is guaranteed that someone else will have the same idea or theme as you. In order to set yourself apart, you have to think of a unique way to distinguish yourself from the rest and often, the best way to do that is with a good blog layout and design. Though some bloggers may choose to get a graphic designer to make a blog design for them, some may choose to do it entirely on their own. Either way, a lot of creativity and experimenting has to be exerted on the blogger’s part. Without any guidance, a graphic designer can’t do the job either. Becoming more creative is very beneficial to your brain’s well-being. Without constantly exercising your mental abilities, your brain wills lowly deteriorate. By exerting your creativity while blogging, you are also exercising your brain and making it more stimulated and fit.


With so many blogs out there nowadays, it’s very likely you’ll meet someone new as you blog. Anyone can comment on anything, and if you give your readers the option to do so, they can even contact you. It’s one of the major reasons why businesses opt for a blog. It is great publicity as anyone with Internet access can easily find your blog. It’s not impossible for people blogging for their own leisure to meet new people either – in fact, it’s the opposite. There is sure to be dozens of other blogs out in the Internet that have the same theme as you do. With some commenting and communicating, you may just find your new best friend!


Blogging certainly is a great way to share your passions, but as you can see, there are many other benefits to blogging. You can improve your writing skills by writing more frequently on your blog, while also boosting your creativity and meeting new people and gaining publicity. Believe it or not, there are dozens of other benefits to blogging and all you need to do to discover them is to start a blog!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so let me just explain myself here. Recently I had to write an essay for school since, well, we're studying essays. Since I'm so dedicated to my blogging, I decided to my essay on how blogging benefits you. This is my final copy. Now, I'm not expecting feedback or anything. I posted this because I thought it might spark a fun discussion. How has blogging benefited you? For me, I think the best way in which blogging has helped me is with my writing. I have improved SO MUCH. Seriously, just flip back to my older review and compare it to some of my more recent ones. Oh my gosh, I CRINGE. Thankfully, I'm way better now. Improved writing would certainly help in the many years of writing reports and assignments I still have left.

3 comments :

  1. I totally get what you mean about improving! My posts from when I started to now are different but they're still essentially me. I do get what you mean about writing, it really is a craft you practice to get better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Testing. Testing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally! I'm so much happier with the quality of my posts now! I know I still have a long way to go to match some of the more eloquent bloggers or writers but I'm just so happy with the progress I've made so far!

    ReplyDelete