Sunday, February 24, 2013

Seeing Double: I'll Be There

Seeing Double is a new feature here at Random Reads. Two covers. One book. One opinion. Feel free to join the discussion! :)

I looovvve my features! On my review of I'll Be There, I told you guys about a little something called "Seeing Double" and today, I am premièring my very first Seeing Double post! 

Cover changes are the focus in Seeing Double and today, I'll be talking about a cover change I so wished didn't happen. I'll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan. 

(The one on the left is the original cover). One of the main reasons why I was drawn to I'll Be There was because of its cover. Stare at the two, and if you don't agree that the first one is beautiful, then...pbbbbbfffft. It is GORGEOUS. And now that I have read the book, I know how much it relates to the story. When you read this book with that cover, you connect. Because every time you read it, you see Sam and Riddle on that cliff. That cliff that changed their entire life. You see hope, you see love, and you feel for them. If only I had the chance to read I'll Be There with that cover, I can bet you that I would've felt a whole lot more. 

On the other hand, the second cover, is something I would like to call a train wreck. Don't get me wrong, it's not ugly, it's just...wrong. What do boots have to do with the book? Or a butterfly??? I certainly do not recall reading about any of those items in the book. Perhaps I'm being too literal or perhaps I'm interpreting it too simply but it doesn't make sense. I don't get it. I don't feel anything towards it. What is the significance of that, I don't understand! Comparing it to the original cover, I really wish the artists would have really thought the second cover through. It's terrible because I don't feel it does the book justice. The font is nice, though. 

Definitely prefer the original cover, though the second cover was the one I read the book with, so I can't flat out hate it. I still wish they hadn't changed the cover, even though this happens all the time. I really miss seeing the original in bookstores and libraries. C'est la vie.

No comments :

Post a Comment