Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook

Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook
Published by Simon Pulse; January 3, 2012
Hardcover, 304 pages
Borrowed from library

Isobel’s life is falling apart. Her mom just married some guy she met on the Internet only three months before and is moving them to his sprawling, gothic mansion off the coast of nowhere. Goodbye, best friend. Goodbye, social life. Hello, icky new stepfather, crunchy granola town, and unbelievably good-looking, officially off-limits stepbrother.

But on her first night in her new home, Isobel starts to fear that it isn’t only her life that’s unraveling—her sanity might be giving way too. Because either Isobel is losing her mind, just like her artist father did before her, or she’s seeing ghosts. Either way, Isobel’s fast on her way to being the talk of the town for all the wrong reasons.


- Descriptions from Goodreads.com



Ohmigod, Eileen Cook, I LOVE YOU! And I totally don't mean that in a creepy way, I mean that in a totally-must-read-all-of-your-other-books-NOW! Cuz, girl, this book was AWESOME!

I loved Isobel, she was awesome and awesome and awesome. The schizophrenia really worked well in the story and although it was definitely a very comedic novel, the schizophrenia was taken very seriously and I appreciated that.

I hated Dick but since this is a you're-supposed-to-hate-him kind of hate, well done, Eileen! I REALLY wanted to stand up to him for Isobel and Nate and show Isobel's mom how dick-y he really was. (Heh, see what I did there?)

The thing with Nate and Isobel was kind of weird and reminded me a lot of Nathan and Whitley's relationship in A Midsummer's Nightmare. Not to mention, both guys share basically the same name. Yes, it's weird to think about step-siblings (although it became less weird at the end...but I won't spoil it for you!) in a romance (you can't help who you love!) but A Midsummer's definitely paved the way for me. I didn't feel as weird about it as I did when I first read A Midsummer's.

I also LOVED the mystery aspect of the book. YES! That's what made me love Eileen so much. Yes, she's hilarious and great at creating tension and giddiness but above all? She's able to make a book otherwise very cookie cutter and add a little spice to it, making it awesomely original and totally not cookie cutter! BUT it did not in any way take away from the romance-y, contemporary-y side of the book and I loved that too.

And I do believe Eileen is Canadian? YES, high five for Canucks! And if you're from Vancouver, congrats on making it to the Stanley Cup finals! And I was tots rooting for y'all!

:D Loved it, loved it, loved it! Get it now.

No comments :

Post a Comment