Saturday, September 29, 2012

Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson


Suite Scarlett by Maureen Johnson
Scarlett #1
Published by Point; May 1, 2008
Hardcover, 368 pages
Borrowed from library

Scarlett Martin has grown up in a most unusual way. Her family owns the Hopewell, a small Art Deco hotel in the heart of New York City. When each of the Martins turns fifteen, they are expected to take over the care of a suite. For Scarlett's fifteenth birthday, she gets both a room called the Empire Suite and a permanent guest named Mrs. Amberson. Scarlett doesn't quite know what to make of this C-list starlet and world traveller.
And when she meets Eric, an astonishingly gorgeous actor who has just moved to the city, her summer takes a second unexpected turn.
Before the summer is over, Scarlett will have to survive a whirlwind of thievery and romantic missteps. But in the city where anything can happen, she just might be able to pull it off.



-Description from Goodreads.com




When I started this book, I was fairly certain I would like it. I mean, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody is one of my all-time favorite shows! I think that's reason enough!

However, I think my standards might have been a bit high as I was pretty disappointed with the book. The third-person perspective made it hard for me to really relate with any of the characters and it made it seem like I was reading a middle-grade book instead of one for teens. 

It was vvvveeerrryyy slow and it took me so long to really enjoy this book. The setting was splendiferous but without a good plot, the book was bland. 

Another thing that bugged me was the whole Eric and Scarlett thing. It was weird and I don't think it had anything to do with the age difference...ok, so MAYBE it had a bit to do with the age difference. I mean, I know three years isn't that much but it just felt inappropriate for me to have Scarlett who practically just got out of her tweens to be dating - or kind of dating - someone who was about to enter college. 

One good thing about this book that - along with the great setting - helped me get through this was Spencer! Spence was so lovable and I enjoyed every scene he was in wholly! 

Suite Scarlett may not have been the best book but it definitely deserves to be turned into a television show what with all the unique characters and settings! Now there's a show I'll be sure to tune in for! And even though it wasn't very action packed, I don't regret reading...and finishing this!!!

Yours, Annie

No comments :

Post a Comment